Thursday, 12 April 2012

La cuisine Le Roux

The kitchen was one of the reasons we fell in love with this house. It is a spacious, light, sunny and very welcoming place to be. Apart from the pink paint and an unusual space below the cabinets, we had hardly any work to do to it at all. 

This is a photo of the kitchen before we moved in:






I think we loved the flooring and the stained glass window the best. Here is a close-up of the window. It was difficult to take a good photo of it because of the light, but hopefully you get the idea:) 
First thing in the morning the sunlight streams through this window and casts such pretty colours across the room. What a lovely place to start the day!




This is a view of the kitchen from the breakfast bar side. It also shows you the awkward little space below the cabinets. This space is too low for a fridge to fit in, although it looks like the previous owners had a small bar fridge and some storage in there:





We added some distressed wooden bar stools to the breakfast bar:


And we placed hub-a-lubs trolley in the awkward space. Oh yes, we also painted the pink walls with our favourite Loden Green by Taubmann's.





Then I added a little artwork to hide the telephone bracket (you can see the bracket on the pink column on the right side of the 'before' photo.)



I was inspired by my blog friend Kylie at Stylish Settings who did something similar in her kitchen. I downloaded some free graphics from the Graphics Fairy and I didn't have the really cute spoon hanger that Kylie has, but I improvised with some ribbon and sweet little wooden teapot cutouts that I painted in a similar style to the graphic.

While I was browsing the Graphics fairy website I also came across this beautiful French ephemera which I painted onto a vintage rolling pin that Hub-a-Lubs found a few years ago.



 
Then I stuck some adhesive letters to our storage jars which are kept next to the coffee machine:


Friends of ours recently came back from a trip to America and they brought us back some special coffees from Disneyland. Here they are displayed on a little shelf near the doorway:







And finally a picture of the shelf near the stained glass window. I spray painted some of the containers a creamy white so that they looked all "pretty" instead of mis-matched like they were before.





So that's a whirlwind tour of our kitchen. It is all coming together slowly, but surely. I am in the process of making some other bits and pieces now that I am on school holidays for a couple of weeks, so I will be posting some more pictures of our home soon.


Until then, God bless.




6 comments:

Stylish Kylie said...

Hi Karen
Your kitchen looks great. I love the teapots you used to hide the telephone plug and I really like the vintage rolling pin. Well done.
Cheers
Kylie xx

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Karen, this is so lovely! Your rolling pin is also amazing! What a great idea! You're so talented! Your kitchen is so large and the stained glass window is lovely . What a nice family gathering place! I would definitely sit and stay a while!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Love your massive kitchen! And, the stained glass window is lovely! Thank you for the visit and the sweet comment @TheDedicatedHouse. It means the world! Enjoy your autumn!! Toodles, Kathryn

Mary-Sweetwater Style said...

Love your kitchen...we had that exact paint color a few years back. When I see yours, I am kind of sad we repainted :) Thanks for commenting on my blog!
It is so funny to think of you moving into fall while we are just thinking of spring...the world is getting smaller in blogland!

Sarah @ Hallway Happenings said...

The kitchen is looking great. I love the idea to hide the telephone plug. I have a socket in the kitchen that has no points, it is just an ugly useless socket. I might have to try something similar.

Nellie McCarthy said...

Hi Karen, your kitchen is looking good and it is a great size. I love the graphics you have used on the hanger and rolling pin. I am looking forward to seeing more of your home. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget