Sunday, 25 March 2012

Just WHAT have I been up to?

Hello!

No, I did not fall off the planet! Real life and real home decorating just got in the way of blogging. Sad, isn't it?

But the good news is that I have not been idle. Quite the opposite. Every single weekend has been filled with housey type activities and today I will share some of them with you.

The most exciting news is that I have been painting. No, not oil painting (sniff!) I have been house painting, or more specifically interior wall painting. Yup! We have finally made an inroad into ridding our home of the puce-pink feature walls that are so generously scattered throughout this house. (Cue angels singing).

After much deliberation and discussion (mostly on my side, I know you ladies will understand!), Hub-a-Lubs and I chose Loden green by Taubmans. 



It is a lovely greyish green that feels so serene and relaxing. It looked fantastic on the colour swatch, but what would it look like on our walls?

 
We took a sample pot home and bravely applied it to the bathroom wall. (I figured that the bathroom could be the guinea-pig room as we are the only people who use it! )Happily the colour on the walls was just what we had envisioned and so the Great Task began. 

To stay true to our redecorating on a budget theme, we decided that I would do the painting myself. (Okay, I admit I needed help with the very top parts of the walls as I am vertically challenged and we still don't have a ladder!). And can I just tell you that I discovered muscles I didn't know I had? The morning after the first weekend of non-stop painting I could hardly get out of bed. I think I know how arthritis sufferers must feel! But, I digress. Here is an idea of the colour on the walls:


Isn't it pretty? So much calmer and more serene than the puce-pink we inherited. Of course, then since the walls were looking so pretty I  felt compelled to decorate the mantel to match:



I went through the house and collected up all the bits and pieces that would work together:


This little glazed bird was a special birthday present from hub-a-Lubs and I love it to bits:



This vase I found at salvos a few years ago for $1 and the angel was a gift from my daughter at Christmas time:



Painting interior walls is a lot of hard work, but we are much, much happier with the new wall colour. In the upcoming school holidays I will finish off the rooms that only received one coat to start off. The lounge, bedroom and kitchen are finished though, and as the lounge leads into the kitchen, that's the room I will show you next time. So watch this space...

 
God bless,

5 comments:

jeanetteann said...

Karen it's a lovely colour and the mantle is nice too.
x jeanetteann

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Well Hi there!
Let me just first say, I know what you mean about not having time to blog, I can so relate! I work so many hours at my "real life job" that I hardly have time to think by the time I get home:O)
Now on to the good stuff...I LOVE this paint color you chose! To me it evokes a sense of calm and makes you want to be in the room...
I say good choice and good bye Puce walls!
BTW I love the way you decorated with pieces that have a wonderful memory attached!
Blessings to you!
~Terry
PS thanks for coming by my blog...it means a lot to me that someone still reads it :O)

The Old Dairy said...

Great to see what you have been up to...I know what you mean about painting I still have painting to finnish off here. There has been so many other projects that it has been put on the back burner...Your's is looking great, Love your mantel..
Have a great week and school break..
Mandy

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Ooooh, I like, I like! Just lovely. Thank you, my friend for the visit and the sweet comment @TheDedicatedHouse. It means the world. Wishing you a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Karen, I love this color! It's so serene! Painting is quite a job! Your mantel looks gorgeous! I can't wait to see more! Have a wonderful week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget