Sunday, 12 February 2012

Relaxing and looking at our lounge

Hello!

Decorating a home is an ongoing process which never seems to get finished. There is always a project or two waiting anxiously in the cupboards/under the bed/in the shed to keep us gainfully occupied and busy. To be honest, that is part of the fun of home decorating.

Like many of you I look forward to weekends so that I can paint/make/fix/re-arrange something around the home. But in doing so I am guilty of not taking the time to actually enjoy our home! I realised that I hardly ever just sit down with a cup of coffee and enjoy my surroundings. I'm always thinking about what needs to be done next. 

It occurred to me what a terrible waste this is and I resolved to ACT to change it. 

So this weekend I did just that. I sat down and enjoyed looking around our lounge and reminiscing about how much it has changed since we moved in less than a year ago.

Here is what the lounge looked like before we moved in, when the previous owners lived here:


Do you get the idea that they were very fond of the colour dusty pink. Or is it just me?


The room looked a bit bare and plain and didn't really look like the welcoming place we believed it could be. On the left hand side of this photo one of their couches rests against the wall that now holds our faux fireplace.


Opposite the fireplace we have arranged our furniture into a cosy conversation area like this:


We also took down the heavy pink lined curtains and changed them for light, airy off-white ones instead.


We decorated with mostly neutral tones and then to add a pop of colour to the lounge we added a comfy little red tub chair:

Here it is "in situ":

 
We included some interesting cushions and a throw to add texture to the couches:

We placed vases of cheerful flowers in strategic spots around the room:


But my favourite part of the transformation was when we painted the chandeliers a more subtle colour.







Quite a difference from before, hey?



There is of course, so much more we would like to do, (for example repaint all the dusty pink paintwork that we inherited) but for now I am happy to just sit here and relax and enjoy my home as it is now. 

I hope you are having a relaxing weekend too!

6 comments:

Full Circle Creations said...

Looks better without all the pink. Enjoy your home!

Holly

The Old Dairy said...

You are so right I too get so busy doing that I don't always stop and enjoy...The lounge room looks so much better now...Enjoy your week.
Mandy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh what a beautiful room you have created. I love the size and your conversations area is perfect. So nice to sit and enjoy and so glad you took the time.

Thanks for your gracious comments on my baths. Of course you can pin it. Thanks.

Hugs, Marty

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Karen, your conversation area is perfect! I love the neutrals you added! This is a large room and you have made it so cozy and appealing! I don't think I would ever leave and get my work done because it's so inviting! Have a wonderful weekend!

Erica {let why lead} said...

A huge improvement! Congrats! I always love light and airy, like those curtains.

Lisa Montsion said...

Were so busy changing our homes sometimes that we forgot that were suppose to enjoy the changes we make. That is the whole point.

lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget