Sunday, 11 December 2011

Our advent wreath is finished

 Did you read my recent post on Advent? In case you missed it, here is the link.

After being inspired by all the lovely advent candle wreaths out there in blogland I got to work creating my own thrifty and creative version for our home.

Although purple and pink are traditional for advent, I decided to go with white candles. The candles I bought from the supermarket for $2.50 each and then I bought a 'mercury glass' lookalike candle holder for $4 from the thrift store. I rummaged around in the kitchen cupboards and found a large platter instead of a wreath. I placed the four pillar candles in a circle around the perimeter of the plate and I put the candle holder in the middle for the special Christmas candle. 

I already had some Spanish moss from another project and some other decorations in my Christmas box, so that kept the cost down too. I sprinkled some Spanish moss on the platter around the candles, and added a few felt stars, a piece of starry tinsel and a garland of beads that I borrowed from the Christmas tree and Voila!


This is what it looks like on our kitchen table.






And here is a closer look at the candles:


To decorate the candles I wrapped some coloured wire around each one, added some Christmas charms that I had in my bead stash and numbered the candles from 1 to 4 with self-adhesive foam numbers that I also had in my craft drawers.

Today is the third Sunday of Advent, so we get to light candle number 3 tonight. The cub-a- lubs are looking forward to that already.

So what do you think? I'd love to hear your comments and see photos of your Advent candles too!

God bless,


3 comments:

The Arizona Russums said...

pretty much the cutest advent wreath EVER!

mrshinesclass said...

Thanks for becoming a follower at mrs. hines' class! I am now your newest follower through google friend connect. Congratulations on your first award!! Feel free to link up at my new Show & Tell party on Wednesdays.

Sharon

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Karen,

I think you did such a lovely & fantastic job on your advent wreath! So very creative & thrifty - and it looks beautiful on your kitchen table! :) Wishing you and your family a most blessed holiday season!


Hugs,
Jessie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget