Sunday, 2 October 2011

Anniversary gifts reveal

Hello! I hope you are having a blessed weekend wherever you are.

I see from all your lovely blogs that many of you have been busy little beavers these past few weeks. Hub-a-Lubs and I have also been working away here in our little part of Australia - we have been busy with fixing up the back patio and the front porch of our home. Now that Spring is here, we will probably want to spend more time outdoors, so we have been focusing our energy on making these areas welcoming and comfortable for friends and family.

 One of my favourite home decor magazines is Country Home Ideas . I never get tired of looking at all the lovely homes and ideas presented there. One of the photos in this month's issue made me drool. Can you imagine owning a patio like this one?



 I love eveything about it. The wicker furniture, The wrought iron table, The candles, The carpet, the greenery. I had better stop describing it now, the keyboard is getting soggy:)


A few weeks ago I hinted about the special anniversary gift that Hub-a-Lubs and I bought for each other, but I wasn't ready to post pictures as we were still busy putting everything together. Fear not, though. It is finally finished, and I can share the improvements with you at last! So here we go (Drum roll, please.......) 





Ta Da! See the beautiful wrought iron table? When we walked into the store it was one of the first things we saw and it was Love At First Sight! It reminded us of the one in the photo of the patio above, and better yet, it was on sale! We only paid $50 for it!  Hub-a-Lubs later said that was the easiest shopping trip he had ever taken me on. It's not often I make up my mind in the first five minutes of arriving at a shop. That must be a world record. he he.  

The old carpet used to be in our garage, so I'm not going to be too sad if it gets weather worn (excuse the leaves but it is very windy today, and as soon as I cleared them, they were back! )

We decorated the patio, loosely using the picture from the magazine as inspiration. 



We didn't have a window so we added an old mirror that was left behind by the old owners of the house, and then we draped some ivy around it to make it look like it belongs in a garden. I also distressed the frame of the mirror to make it fit in better with the outdoors.







 I then added some artworks around the mirror to personalise the area. I love old wrought iron keys and so I took my old bunch of decorative keys ($3 from the discount store) apart and nailed them to a frame that Hub-a-Lubs made for me:








 I also painted some other antique style keys on two left over pieces of wood and hung them up too:




We then added some chalkboard sketches:


 And finally all that was left was to fix up the ugly naked light bulb that lights up the area at night. We would really have loved one of those wrought iron chandeliers like the one in the inspiration photo, but we were determined to stay true to our "mend and make do" motto. So we rolled up our sleeves, took some $5 candle holders, a discount store $5 hanging plant pot that we screwed to the ceiling, and a $3 length of chain from the Hardware store, and made our own Beautiful Outdoor Chandelier: 


Eat your heart out, Country Home ideas!!


Okay, so I know our patio is not exactly like the photo from the magazine, but we made it our own and we are thrilled with the way it turned out. We are really looking forward to spending many evenings out there as the weather warms up. Wish you could join us.

God bless,
 
 P.S. We did pick up a couple of other small things on sale at the same store, but I will post pictures another day. I hope you will come back soon to see what they were!
linking to:
http://www.happyhourprojects.com

8 comments:

Dana Bishop said...

You did such a gorgeous job on the patio! It's especially beautiful because it was a collaborative effort. You are quite and artist and your personal touches make the patio very special.

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings, Dana

The Old Dairy said...

Karen your patio looks fantastic. It is amazing what we can find when we shop in our own homes..I to love dec magazines to get inspiration from...
Blessings Mandy

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What a great looking patio! You did a fantastic job! i am linking to you from the Creative blogger's party. I hope you will follow back!

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Looks great there Karen. Love all your key touches too. Thanks for sharing.

Betsy (BB) said...

Karen, this looks great! What a lovely place! Your Artwork is great! I love your creative way to disguise the light!

Natasha in Oz said...

You did a wonderful job decorating your courtyard! I love table!

Hope you have been enjoying your beautiful new space.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Wow, your patio is just gorgeous! I keep forgetting that the weather is just the opposite "down under!" While it's autumn over here, it's spring over there...I think I made the mistake of wishing another fellow blogger "Happy Autumn," when it was actually Spring! :( Oh well, happy seasons to all & once again, great job on the patio!!!


XO's,
Jessie

Lisa Montsion said...

I love all the keys for display and I'd love to see more of your garden.

lisa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget